Monday, August 25, 2008

Home on the Range!

Greetings Readers!
I have arrived safe and sound in my new home in the South of Boston. After receiving a frantic call that my movers were coming on Sunday (yes, SUNDAY!), I had to bolt from the home of @thediva and book it to Mass. Other than two hours of traffic on the TappenZee bridge (spent watching my Tori Amos video collection), my ride was uneventful. Although I have to say - Connecticut is a much bigger state than I remember!
So, I am refamiliarizing myself with "Northern" living. For those of you that don't know, I grew up on the Mass/NH border but have lived most of my adult life in Florida. Here are some observations I have made thus far about my return to the North:

* GAS STOVES! Apparently, not only do they still make them, but people still have them. I vaguely recall something about a pilot light and a match, but I think I'll wait for @Colettebenoir to get home before attempting that one
* HILLS! My poor Florida-raised Corolla almost went into shock when she went up the side of the Mountain we live on. Poor thing. Wait until she sees snow for the first time.
* DRIVING! So, street signs are kind of an "optional", take-them-when-you-can-get-them thing. I ventured for a ride into Cambridge yesterday, and got lost two miles from home. GPS is being invested in - the sooner, the better.
* ROUNDABOUTS! I can see these having been fun on a horse and carriage, but throwing a bunch of cars in there? Bad idea. And they still build new ones!
* STAIRS! They are EVERYWHERE!
* STOP AND SHOP ~ You're still the ugliest grocery store on record.
* LIQUOR LAWS ~ I mean, seriously? Is this one of *those* states? I better stock up on wine.
* PARALLEL PARKING ~ Believe it or not, I actually used to be good at this at one time. But, I'm thinking I'm going to need a little practice.

So, I'm enjoying my current state of unemployment until the new job begins. It's going to be spent figuring out my public transportation options, buying comfortable walking shoes, and walking up the mountain once a day to ensure I don't have a heart attack on my way back from the commuter rail sometime. Until then - cheers! It was a very fun road trip and I'd like to do it again someday - minus the ghosts and the TappenZee wait.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

Roundabout here are known as Rotaries... the mindF&^* of drivers everywhere.

Liquor Laws? You can buy wine from a packy 7 days a week, but only after noon on Sundays. You do remember what a Packy is, don't you? Yes in Mass. we don't sell wine and beer at the grocery store except for rare situations. But you can get all your alcohol needs at the same store.

GPS: Is needed for where you live, even then be prepared to be told to turn onto a one-way street coming at you the wrong way. I know with my TomTom I have had to make several map corrections.

Welcome to back to New England!

dclhickman said...

Yeah- gas stoves do exist, probably the one thing that will keep you warm when the snow knocks out your electricity. I can't wait to start comparing snowfall totals with you!!!
Although we don't have mountains here in Minnesota, we do have a lot of hills, thus the town I live in Apple Valley ;-) I do enjoy that so much more than the flat lands of FL. I also enjoy the fact that the highs these days are in the middle to upper 70's with low humidity and not the 95 degree with 100% humidity that we experienced in FL. Oh and one more thing---no hurricanes!! Hallelujah on that one!! I couldn't do another 2004.