Saturday, August 23, 2008

Alexandria & More!

Next stop on the Fantastic Road Adventures of Kat Glimmer was Alexandria, Virginia!
Alexandria was recommended by a friend as a great place to stop if you want to get into Washington without all the "fun" of having to drive into Washington. The traffic there did not disappoint: I was stuck for almost an hour to go two miles. But, once in Alexandria, it's a perfectly lovely "cosmopolitan" little town. The streets are lined with shops and pubs, most of which carry the name "tavern". Live music was everywhere and even though I was there on a Thursday, I think I had invaded the town's date night. Unfortunately, my pub food was just so-so, but I give the musician a thumbs-up!
So, since it appears I can't go anywhere without some gem of catastrophe, my hotel lost power for close to two hours. It was actually more than just the hotel - it was the entire city block. The Hampton Inn graciously issued me a flashlight but did not seem to understand my remorse at having again missed the opportunity to watch Pretty Woman all the way through (that movie and Footloose - I have never seen in their entirety!). I took that as my chance to go to bed, and get my first, full, ghost-free night's sleep in quite a few days.
The next day I ventured onto the DC Metro. Once I overcome the incredibly confusing and archaic pass purchase instructions (c'mon people - more pictures! Take a nod from Denver), I purchased by pass and was off on my Space Mountain-like journey. Since I'm a fan of subways, I will say that the DC Metro was VERY clean, albeit VERY dark. Not sure if perhaps those two are connected in some way.
My stop at the Library of Congress was absolutely magnificent. I really can't believe I have never been before, and it was an absolutely FANTASTIC, interactive, and moving experience. Go ahead- laugh at me - I don't care! I didn't get shushed once while I was there, and I never could figure out how to make it into the "big" reading room, but the view was spectacular. I can cross one more thing off my "list".
I have now arrived safely at the home of @thediva where I am being forced into an involuntary fast. Should the never ending shower actually curtail at some point, there is the promise of bacon and pedicures (bacon pedicures?). Since the movers have completely reneged on their agreement to deliver their furniture by Tuesday of next week (I display zero shock at this), I've got time before I roll into my final destination of Boston. I should be arriving tomorrow, unless the lure of Foxwoods gets me on my way ...

No comments: