Friday, November 30, 2007

Tis the Season

The holidays are fast approaching, and most of us are filled with that yuletide cheer. Christmas means a few of my favorite things: eggnog, snow, presents, bells, shopping and spiked punch. But, for those of us in the service industry, it also means the return of the yearly dreaded service interaction. I call it the "holiday spirit". I've worked in my current position for five years, and can document the increase in customer "complaints" are this time of year. Perhaps they are trying to tap into some of my holiday cheer? If so, they are barking up the wrong tree with Queen Kat! Anyway, here's some helpful holiday tips for customers to keep in mind:
* Because it's the holidays does not mean we are going to wipe your slate clean of all monies you may owe. The cable company doesn't give me a free month just because it's "Christmas", and I won't, either
* If you have no intention of paying what you owe, that's fine. But there is absolutely no reason that you need to call and tell me this. If your hope is that by telling me you won't pay your bill, it will magically disappear, you really should see a shaman or a magician.
* Please don't use "the holidays" as an excuse. It taints what is intended to be an otherwise fun filled and relaxing time of year, and they shouldn't be used as a way to write off forgetfulness or stupidity.
* Calling me "Scrooge", "Satan", "Grinch" or the "anti-Christ" during this time of year only makes me chuckle, so please expect this reaction.
So, Happy Holidays to all of you out there who truly appreciate what this time of year is meant to be about. And for those of you who don't - tsk tsk! I'm on to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i read this...i read this...i TOTALLY read this....