Friday, November 23, 2007

A Time to Give Thanks

Today is "Black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving dedicated to shopping, sales, and the ultimate display of capitalism. My heart goes out to those of you in retail today, as I'm sure a day full of early mornings, coupons and long lines has got to be the ultimate test of your customer service skills. I dedicate this post to all of you, Retail Servants, with a recap of "things" Queen Kat is thankful for.
  • I am grateful that no sale or special has ever motivated me to get up at 4am and wait in line at a store - I don't care HOW cheap that plasma TV is advertised
  • I am thankful that Walmart does not appear to be offering the $29 DVD players this year, disappointing many a middle-aged woman who was hoping to wrestle for the ultimate bargain. For the safety of the American public, we thank you, Walmart.
  • I am ecstatic that my neighbors have resisted the lure of the large, inflatable and obnoxious Frosty the Snowman lawn ornament, as I'm sure this would lead me to participate in some graffiti or mischief I have thus far refrained from.
  • I am grateful I am no longer a clerk in a women's clothing department. I once worked for a large department store chain called Filene's, and was charged with dressing room duty. I realized then the concept of "hangers" was lost on most of the patrons, and was even chastised by a manager once when I insisted upon giving a lesson as to their usefulness to a particularly sloppy customer.
  • I am thankful I don't have to explain coupons, expiration dates, specials, signs, or other "bargains" to the argumentative customer who doesn't understand that I'm working a job that barely pays above minimum wage, and most likely comes with little to no benefits.
Most importantly, I am thankful to NOT be working in retail on this very special day. But we salute those of you that are! Know that most of us that have been there, and we will try and remember our shopping manners, even after shoving an 8 year old out of the way for latest Elmo doll.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm - why is it called BLACK FRIDAY and not White Friday or just GREEN Friday? Since most of the stores will know if they are going to make money for the holiday season based on this day alone, I would think that green being the colour of money, shouldn't it be Green Friday?
But this is not the place for such an argument - I will say, however, that if you are working on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I will not grant you special license to do a bad and slow job. I worked many a Green Friday and I did not use it as an excuse to be very slow and inaccurate! Taco Bell servers, this is for you. Trying to cheat me out of one taco - and making me wait too long for it!!!
So, if you work on Green Friday, I still expect you to do your job like you are being paid to do it: correctly, timely - and hell, I don't need the smile, just give me my taco!

Anonymous said...

DUDE, not lured by anything less than a time constraint, i DID head out during black friday and completed ALL of my shopping...i'm done...seriously....wrapped and ready to go!

but i do agree with ric...it should be green friday! want to make everyday green? check out my website! (shameless plug) www.greenguylounge.com

Kat, the Library Ninja! said...

Hey Mike! No plugging your podcast on my blog. Oh, wait, it's my podcast too...