Friday, June 12, 2009

Portrait of a Library Ninja

"So, you're a librarian?"

This question is often posed to me in the quizzical sense, and usually those who pose it (minus those who are replaying some sort of pRon fantasy in their head) are asking because they are truly interested. What made you become a librarian?

Since I've moved, and we'll loosely call my new place of residence a more literate and academic sphere, I've been greeted with the misconception that I often encounter when noting that I'm a librarian. This "ideal" is that I became a librarian because I'm devoted to the preservation of classic works of literature. That my goal in my career is to harbor these cherished works and to pass them along to future generations. That I've read Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary and can instantly convey the tragic nature of their protagonists as well as cite biographical data on their creators. I'm here to tell you - I'm not this librarian. And as there are many around me who fit this bill, I, generally am not sorry. All of this is important, albeit somewhat dated, librarian work, and I leave this task to be filled by those who do it best.

So what kind of librarian am I? Well, I'm the librarian who sits for two hours at a computer with a computer illiterate senior as she fills out her application for social security. I'm the one who engages with a homeless Vet as he relays his experiences of his "previous" life. I help the recovering alcoholic find the "manual" he needs to complete his AA course, and when the depressed woman walks up to me and tells me she's considering contemplating suicide, I'm the one who reacts with appropriate measures.

I realized early on that I have a tolerance for mankind that is both blessing and curse. Where others get squeamish, I tend to shine. I have a high tolerance for body odor, can be screamed at for extended periods of time without losing my cool, and know the tell-tale signs of danger when it's present. I can sometimes see the question behind the question, and can offer my assistance in a manner that is non-judgemental and helpful. In this, I hope that I'm making an impact on someone's life, and beyond just the tween who thinks I'm "cool" for knowing Justin's Timberlake's discography.

This is not to say that staying in touch with literature is not important: I read reviews on books and every flap cover I can get my hands on, in the hope's that I can recommend or suggest works to the variety of individuals I help. I retain a good amount of knowledge and most of my friends are aware I'm a good "recommender" if nothing else. But if you're looking for that "traditional" librarian - I'm not it. I'm of the Ninja Variety, and far be it from me to deny the special gifts of patience and tolerance I've been given. And hey - if I get to use my special karate chops every now and again, then I consider that a bonus.

That's why I'm a librarian. And I love what I do.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Bravo! That makes you the best kind of librarian, in my humble opinion.

Jeanette said...

All that RSR/management experience is what showed you the way huh? ;-)